The medical device market is a thriving segment of the healthcare industry in India. Rise in the number of hospitals and increasing requirement of healthcare facilities on account of the changing demographics and increasing lifestyle diseases is creating a need for medical devices of all types ranging from simple instruments to the most sophisticated devices and equipments that work on complex mechanisms. The market for surgical instruments is also showing the same trend and is growing at a steady pace. Unlike the market for other medical devices where multinationals dominate, in the case of surgical instruments, a large number of domestic manufacturers exist. The market is also not import dependent unlike in the case of most other devices but is an export earner. The growing target base of consumers is expected to boost sales and the market is expected to exhibit steady growth in future.
The report begins with an introduction section which provides a brief description of surgical instruments and their uses. The market overview section provides an insight into the market and highlights the market size and growth. A section on the import and export of various surgical instruments has been given in the next section. It provides the value-wise and volume-wise import and export figures for six different categories of surgical instruments.
This is followed by an analysis of the drivers leading to growth in the market. This includes increasing surgical procedures, improving hospital infrastructure, growing medical tourism, increasing lifestyle diseases, changing demographic structure and increasing healthcare spending. The key challenges that act as an impediment to growth in this market are improper sterilization procedures and reluctance to use by medical centers. The next section deals with the various trends in surgical procedures over the years. These surgical trends include powered surgical tools, minimally invasive surgeries and robotic surgeries.
The competition section provides an overview of the competitive landscape in the industry and includes a detailed profile of the major players in the market. The Porter's Five Forces analysis for the surgical instruments market is provided in this section. A summary of the major players operating in the market has also been provided in the form of a bubble chart. It also includes the list of products and services, key people, financial snapshot, key ratios and key recent developments for the major players. For public companies, their key business segments and key geographic segments have also been provided.
A section providing strategic recommendations has been given at the end of the report which gives effective solutions to existing and potential players for improving market share and increasing profitability.
Page 1: Executive Summary
Page 2: Features of Surgical Instruments and Uses
Page 3: Surgical Instruments - Overview, Market Size and Growth (Value-Wise; 2010 - 2015e)
Page 4: Import of Surgical Instruments - Size (Value: FY 2008 - FY 2011)
Page 5-7: Import-Export of certain Surgical Instruments - Size (Volume & Value: FY 2008 - FY 2011)
Drivers & Challenges
Page 8: Summary
Page 9-14: Drivers
Page 15-16: Challenges
Page 17: Summary
Page 18-20: Trends in Surgical Procedures
Page 21: Market Competition - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
Page 22: Major Companies - Summary
Page 23-25: Major Public Companies-
Centenial Surgical Suture Ltd.
Page 26-55: Major Private players (Domestic)
Futura Surgicare Pvt. Ltd.
General Surgical Company (India) Pvt. Ltd.
Hindustan Syringes & Medical Devices Ltd.
Kehr Surgical Pvt. Ltd.
Lifeline Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Lotus Surgicals Pvt. Ltd.
MCo Hospital Aids Pvt. Ltd.
Siora Surgicals Pvt. Ltd.
Sterimed Medical Devices Pvt. Ltd.
Susruta Instruments Pvt. Ltd.
Page 56-67: Major Private Companies (Foreign)
B. Braun Medical (India) Private Ltd.
Covidien Healthcare India Pvt. Ltd.
ERBE Medical India Pvt. Ltd.
Stryker India Pvt. Ltd.
Page 68: Key recommendations
Page 69: Appendix
1. Surgical Instruments - Market Size & Growth (Value-Wise, 2010 - 2015e)
2. Surgical Instruments - Imports (Value-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
3. Surgical Instruments - Exports (Value-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
4. Imports - HS Code : 30059060 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
5. Exports - HS Code : 30059060 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
6. Imports - HS Code : 30061010 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
7. Exports - HS Code : 30061010 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
8. Imports - HS Code : 40151100 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
9. Exports - HS Code : 40151100 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
10. Imports - HS Code : 90189022 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
11. Exports - HS Code : 90189022 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
12. Imports - HS Code : 90189025 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
13. Exports - HS Code : 90189025 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
14. Imports - HS Code : 90189029 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
15. Exports - HS Code : 90189029 (Value-Wise & Volume-Wise, FY 2008 - FY 2011)
Drivers and Challenges
16. Surgical Procedures in India
17. Hospital Infrastructure in India
18. Private Hospitals Market in India
19. Medical Tourism Market in India
20. Foreign Patients Treated in India
21. Prevalence of Chronic Lifestyle Diseases in India
22. Population above 60 yrs in India
23. Share of Wallet (%)
24. Composition of Healthcare Spending
25. Financial Snapshot (All companies)
26. Key Business segments (only Public Companies)
27. Key Geographic segments (only Public Companies)
1. Company profiles (All companies)
a. Company information
b. Products and services
c. Key people
d. Key Financial Performance Indicators Key Ratios
e. Key Recent Developments
2. Ratio Calculations