Organ on-chip Market Size, Trends & Forecast (2019 - 2025)
According to the Research Report, the Global Organ On-Chip Market Size is expected to register a growth rate of nearly 34.57% over the forecast period 2019 - 2025 at a CAGR of xx%.
An organ-on-a-chip is a microfluidic cell culture device that contains continuously perfused chambers. This chip develops a narrow channel for the blood and airflow in organs, such as the lung, gut, liver, heart, and other organs. Such devices produce multiple levels of tissue and organ functionalities, which are not feasible using conventional 2D and 3D culture systems. It offers a wide range of applications, such as disease modeling, patient stratification, and phenotypic screening.
Eventually, OOC models may play a pivotal role in streamlining the clinical trial processes. For instance, advances in stem cell engineering could be integrated into the OOC technology to develop personalized models to predict patient-specific toxicity and efficacy, which could lead to more efficient human trials with significantly reduced preclinical testing requirements. The OOC technology can be mutually integrated with modeling and analysis tools in the drug discovery process. Furthermore, the OOC models could be used to validate potential targets identified by genomics and proteomics analyses. These developments have the potential to transform the process of drug discovery and development in the future, which may contribute directly to the growth of the market.
The organ-on-chip market is driven by factors, such as a requirement for alternatives for animal testing, the need for early detection of drug toxicity, and new product launches and advancements in technology that are also responsible for driving the market. Furthermore, the surging initiatives by pharmaceutical companies, to invest and investigate drug repurposing utilizing organs-on-chips models, are also expected to drive the growth of the organs-on-chip market.
The demand for personalized medicine and the vast applications of organ-on-chip beyond the pharmaceutical industry are the major factors creating growth opportunities for market players.
There are also increasing product launches by several key players, intended to expand their product portfolio, which is further expected to increase their market in the upcoming forecast years.
The Scope of the Organ on-chip Market Report:
An organ-on-chip (OOC) is also called as multi-channel 3D microfluidic cell culture chip. It is a type of artificial organ that simulates activities, mechanics, and physiological responses of entire organs and organ systems. The size of the OOC is about an AA battery, and its transparency allows us to see the organ’s functionality, behavior, and response at the cellular and molecular levels.
Key Market Trends for Organ on-chip Market:
- Drug Discovery Segment is Expected to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate Over the Forecast Period
- The drug discovery segment of the organ-on-chip market is expected to hold the largest market share and is projected to witness a CAGR of 34.72% during the forecast period.
- The pharmaceutical industry is facing many challenges due to the rising cost and declining efficiency of drug R&D. Thus, there is a critical need for new testing approaches for generating reliable predictions of drug efficacy. OOC has the potential to serve as a new enabling platform for the identification and validation of efficacy, safety, and durability of potential targets early in the pipeline, thus increasing the chances of success in clinical trials.
The Research Report Segments the Global Organ on-chip Market into the following submarkets as per Research Report:
Global Organ on-chip Market – By Organ Type
Global Organ on-chip Market – By Application
- Drug Discovery
- Toxicology Research
Global Organ on-chip Market – By End-User
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies
- Academic Research Institutes
Global Organ on-chip Market – By Region
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Regionally, North America Captured the Largest Market Share and is Expected to Retain its DominanceNorth America currently dominates the OOC market owing to factors, such as the availability of a wide range of services offered by major players (which includes customized designing of new chips with specific organ arrangement) and increase in toxicological testing of chemicals on the different types of organ cells. Huge investments are being made by the public and private institutes for their research. For instance, the Wyss Institute received almost USD 5.6 million in grant money from the US FDA to use its organ-on-chip technology to test human physiological responses to radiation and to evaluate drugs designed to counter those effects.
Some of the Prominent Companies Operating the Global Organ on chip Market Profiled in the Report are:
- AxoSim Inc.
- BiomimX SRL
- Emulate Inc.
- Hurel Corporation
- InSphero AG
- MIMETAS BV
- Norris Inc
- Tara Biosystems
- TissUse GmbH
Table of Contents
1. Study Deliverables
2. Study Assumptions
3. Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
1. Market Overview
2. Market Drivers
1. Requirement of Alternative for Animal Testing
2. Need for Early Detection of Drug Toxicity
3. New Products Launches and Advancements in Technology
3. Market Restraints
1. Complexity of Organ-on-chip Models
4. Industry Attractiveness Porter's Five Force Analysis
1. Threat of New Entrants
2. Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
3. Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4. Threat of Substitute Products
5. Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
1. By Organ Type
4. Other Organ Types
2. By Application
1. Drug Discovery
2. Toxicology Research
3. Other Applications
3. By End User
1. Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies
2. Academic and Research Institutes
3. Other End Users
1. North America
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
6. Rest of Europe
5. South Korea
6. Rest of Asia-Pacific
4. Rest of the World (ROW)
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
1. Company Profiles
1. AxoSim Inc.
2. BiomimX SRL
4. Emulate Inc.
5. Hurel Corporation
6. InSphero AG
7. MIMETAS BV
8. Nortis Inc.
9. Tara Biosystems
10. TissUse GmbH
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS