Japan is the largest market for probiotics in Asia-Pacific, with an estimated share of about 45% in 2016 with a revenue of USD 6.76 billion. Probiotic functional foods & beverages account for a market share of 85% in 2016, with consumption of yogurt being highly widespread in the region. In terms of growth, however, demand for dietary supplements is likely to outpace other segments. By application, regular usage of probiotics is most common in Japan, with preventive and therapeutic measures also gaining wider acceptance.
Growing Popularity for Functional Food and Beverages
The top three segments in the Japanese functional packaged foods sector for 2015 were dairy, confectionery, and bakery products. Dairy records a significant growth rate and is expected to continue to grow, at a CAGR of 14% during the forecast period, 2018 - 2023. Prevention and cure of lactose intolerance and inflammatory bowel disease are some of the benefits offered by probiotics, with rising health-consciousness levels and wider access to probiotic dietary supplements. The past decade has witnessed the launch of more than 500 food & beverage probiotic products, which have garnered exceptional response in terms of acceptance.
The beneficial effects of food with added live microbes (probiotics) on human health are being increasingly promoted by health professionals. Probiotic products available in the markets today, are usually in the form of fermented milks and yoghurts. However, with an increase in the consumer vegetarianism globally, there is also a demand for the vegetarian probiotic products.
Functional food and Beverages Dominate the Market by Type
Probiotic yogurts and beverages are widely available and are ideal healthy snacks for busy Japanese workers. The market players such as Japan-based Yakult Honsha and Denmark-based CHR Hansen have been successful in developing patented strains of micro-organisms, with the claim of having effect on specific health conditions. In addition, a raft of probiotic ingredient suppliers has also demonstrated success in developing bespoke strains of micro-organisms capable of being incorporated into a range of food products.
Feed probiotics are used to improve animal weight gain and feed efficiency, and also to maintain and promote normal health status of domestic animals and fowls. Feed probiotics are used widely by the major mills as feed ingredients for piglets, calves, sows and fowls. The Japanese probiotic market in dietary supplements was valued at USD 0.325 billion in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 9.98% in the forecast period. The market will continue to experience growth on account of increasing traction for dietary products by general population.
Preventive Applications of probiotic to dominate the market
Probiotics market for preventive medicinal applications account for bulk of the Japanese probiotics market, with a share of approximately 52%. The Japanese probiotic market in preventive application was valued at USD 4.42 billion in 2016. Probiotics based products are available as both food and drugs in Japan, and companies manufacturing probiotic based products claim health benefits for ailments like blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, blood sugar, bone minerals (especially calcium), and dental health.
Tokyo based Morinaga milk offers products such as functional food and infant formulae with “Bifidobacteria”. The benefits include intestinal regulation, protection from infection, and immune modulation. Milk drinks, lactic acid drinks and yogurt products containing BB536 are now among Morinaga Milk's core products.
• December 2017: Royal DSM, a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials, announces it has acquired BioCare Copenhagen A/S, based in Copenhagen (Denmark). With the acquisition, DSM expands its offering in gut health ingredients with probiotics, an attractive market segment in nutritional ingredients.
• March 2017: Probiotics food and beverage company Farmhouse Culture signed an investment agreement with General Mills’ venture unit 301 INC to increase the availability of its products nationally.
Major Players: ARLA FOODS, BONGRAIN SA, GENERAL MILLS, FRIESLANDCAMPINA, DEAN FOODS, FONTERRA, LALLEMAND, DSM, MEIJI Co., YAKULT HONSHA
Reasons to Purchase this Report
• Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
• Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors which are impelling the present market scenario along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
• Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
• Country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
• Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
• Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis and strategies employed by the major market players
• 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
• Value chain analysis
• Consumer behavior analysis in country level
1.2 Research Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Market Drivers
3.2.1 Aging Population And Rising Healthcare Costs
3.2.2 Regulatory Reforms
3.2.3 Increasing Consumer Applications
3.3 Market Restraining
3.3.1 Technological Challenges In The Development Of Probiotic Products
3.3.2 Evidence To Support Associated Health Claims
3.4.1 United States Offer Enormous Prospects
3.4.2 Non Dairy Probiotic Products
3.5 Porter’s Five Forces
3.5.1 Bargaining Power Of Suppliers
3.5.2 Bargaining Power Of Consumers
3.5.3 Threat Of New Entrants
3.5.4 Threat Of Substitute Products Or Services
3.5.5 Competitive Rivalry Among Existing Competitors
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Product Type
4.1.1 Animal Feed
4.1.2 Dietary Supplements
4.1.3 Functional Foods & Beverages
4.1.4 Specialty Nutrients
4.2 By Applications
4.3 By Ingredients
5. Competitor Analysis
5.1 Market Shares Of Leading Global Players
5.2 Strategies Adopted By Leading Global Players
6. Company Profiles
6.1 Arla Foods
6.2 Bongrain Sa
6.3 General Mills
6.5 Dean Foods
6.9 Meiji Co.
6.10 Yakult Honsha
6.13 Chr. Hansen Inc
6.15 Danone Sa
6.16 Dupont Danisco