The super capacitor market was valued at USD 0.76 billion in 2017, and is expected to reach a value of USD 2.25 billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 19.88%, over the forecast period (2018 - 2023). The scope of the report is limited to segmentation by type, including double layer, pseudo, and hybrid, by end users, like aerospace & defense, industrial, utilities, consumer electronics, healthcare, and transportation. The regions considered in the scope of the report include North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and the Rest of the World.
Growing Adoption of Hybrid Electric Vehicles is Driving the Market
Alternative energy storage solutions are imperative for reducing dependency on depleting natural resources. Despite government support for alternative energy storage solutions, lithium batteries are widely used for a variety of hybrid vehicles. However, trying to achieve high power density in an energy-dense battery, like lithium-ion, results in shortened life and increased stress. The super capacitor is a perfect fit for a range of vehicles from light to heavy hybrids, in which it can process the power of start-stop operations and braking which drives the market in the coming years.
Pseudo Capacitor has A Major Market Share among Others Types of Super Capacitors
Pseudo capacitor was estimated to dominate the market in terms of market share in 2016, as it found many applications in portable and handheld products. The consumer electronics industry registered a very high rate of adoption of pseudo capacitors, substituting typical batteries. The use of pseudo capacitors to optimize power usage and recently developed fast-charging concepts has further augmented the growth of the pseudo capacitors in the market. Pseudo capacitors have been identified as the ideal charge storage device in less heavy-duty products, such as the laptops, devices, and others.
China Has the Largest Market Share over the Forecast Period
In annual sales of electric vehicles, China overtook both the European and the US markets. China is already using super capacitors in hybrid buses; these buses are equipped with stop-start engines where the super capacitors reduce the load on the battery itself, which will likely increase the lifetime of the batteries. When it comes to the consumer electronics industry, China is racing first in the sales of smart gadgets and other devices. These are few dynamics that are boosting the growth of the super capacitors market in China.
Key Developments in the Market
• June 2017: Panasonic Corporation bridged the gap between batteries and super-capacitors with its newly developed Energy Polymer Capacitor reaching energy densities comparable to lead acid batteries while keeping the high power density of super capacitors. Panasonic Energy Polymer Capacitor will enable new solutions for backup power, peak power assist and regenerative storage applications.
• February 2017: Maxwell technologies announced that it has entered into an agreement with Nesscap Energy Inc to acquire the whole business assets of the company. The company expects to capitalize on synergies between the two companies that will accelerate growth, increase the innovation rate, and create an expanded and strengthened product portfolio. With a strengthened sales channel, increased R&D capabilities, and improved manufacturing efficiencies, Maxwell is expecting to be able to deliver more products, faster into target markets thereby benefitting customers and other technology adopters.
Major players: MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES, PANASONIC CORPORATION, NESSCAP CO LTD, NEC-TOKIN CORPORATION, SKELETON TECHNOLOGIES amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase This Report
• How the growing sales of automobile act as a driver to the global market scenario?
• Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
• Which regions are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period?
• Identify the latest developments, market shares and strategies employed by the major market players.
• 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Study Deliverables
1.2 Key Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Demand for Environment-friendly Technologies
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost of Super Capacitors
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
5. Technology Snapshot
6. Global Super Capacitor Market Segmentation - By Type
6.1 Double Layer Capacitor
6.2 Pseudo Capacitor
6.3 Hybrid Capacitor
7. Global Super Capacitor Market Segmentation - By End User Industry
7.1 Consumer Electronics
7.5 Aerospace & defense
8. Global Super Capacitor Market Segmentation - By Region
8.1 North America
8.1.1 United States
8.2.2 United Kingdom
8.4 Latin America
8.5 Middle East & Africa
8.5.1 Saudi Arabia
8.5.3 South Africa
9. Global Super Capacitor Market , Competitive Intelligence - Company Profiles
9.1 Honeywell International Inc.
9.2 Robert Bosch GmbH
9.3 Infineon Technologies AG
9.4 NXP Semiconductor N.V.
9.5 Denso Corporation
9.6 ST Microelectronics NV
9.7 Sensata Technologies, Inc.
10. Investment Analysis
10.1 Recent Mergers and Acquisitions
10.2 Investor Outlook
11. Future of Super Capacitor Market