The global kombucha market records a revenue more than USD 700 million in 2015 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 14.1% during the forecast period (2018 - 2023). The market is competitive and driven by an increase in the trend of “health and wellness” and the growing consumer demand for all natural ingredients. Kombucha Breweries International (KBI) has been catering to the growing need for the product by providing common resources and testing standards. Identification of the alcohol content of kombucha is imperative; for that, the company employed a standardized method to test and control.
Health benefits associated with Kombucha
Increasing consumption of probiotics as functional beverages market is driving the market for kombucha drinks market. The Asian market dominated by Japan and China has the highest adoption rate of probiotics generating a revenue of USD 14.1 Billion followed by Europe and North America. Since Kombucha is also made of beneficial bacteria, yeasts, and acid, people consume now for the many health and probiotic benefits which is expected to drive the market. The digital fitness category and healthier food sales are the markets with exponential growth. The trend of natural, clean-label and organic are driving the market in the food sector. However, the growing awareness about the kombucha product consumed and buzz of weight management foods have also strived the market to grow at an exponential growth rate.
Organic kombucha holds the highest market share
The market has been segmented by strain type (bacteria, yeast, mold), type (original, flavored-herbs & spices, fruits, flowers, others), application (beverages, baked goods, confectionery, dairy products, processed foods) and region (North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East & Africa and Asia-Pacific). The organic kombucha holds the highest market in the kombucha market. This is due to increase in consumer’s preference towards organic fermented drinks.
Consumers broadly prefer flavored kombucha drinks and the segment accounted for 68% of the market by volume in 2015. Flavored drinks is the major segment of the kombucha market, which has seen tremendous growth from the past 3-4 years, as the companies have developed traditional drinks with added exotic flavors, to attract consumers. Moreover, fruits are expected to dominate in the coming years, due to their added health benefits.
North America is the Hub for Kombucha Drinks
Kombucha is an ancient American drink, which has gained prominence due to its health benefits. The growing awareness of the product has transformed household workers into commercial product producers. The employment rate has also increased in this region. The market in this area is gaining attention and is expected to grow at a double-digit figure.
The global kombucha market is occupied by local and global players. The companies are creating awareness in different regions, by advertising and developing new product offerings, with various flavors. The Hain Celestial, RedBull and Reed are the major players, occupying a market share of about 30%. Expansion and product developments are the major strategies adopted by the players, to sustain their position in the market.
PepsiCo spent USD200 million to fold kombucha startup KeVita into its portfolio. Clear labeling and inclusion of organic and GMO-free aspects are the major trends in the kombucha market as many major players are committed towards removal artificial ingredients from the products.
• January 2018: GT’s Living Foods announces its new limited edition offering, Pure Love. This exclusive seasonal flavor features a fruity floral blend that marries their Organic and Raw Kombucha with fresh pressed Blood Orange, dried Rose Buds and Petals, dried Hibiscus Flowers, fragrant and Rose Water.
• January 2018: Appalachian Gap is making Aqua Vodka, 88-proof and certified organic, from the alcohol by-product of Weaber's kombucha.
Major Players: MILLENNIUM PRODUCTS, Inc. (U.S.), KEVITA, REED’S, Inc. (U.S.), THE HAIN CELESTIAL GROUP (U.S.), REVIVE KOMBUCHA, KOSMIC KOMBUCHA, CELL - NIQUE CORPORATION, BUCHI KOMBUCHA, GT’S KOMBUCHA (U.S.), TOWNSHEND’S TEA COMPANY
Reasons to Purchase this Report
• Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
• Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors which are impelling the present market scenario along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
• Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
• Regional and country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
• Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
• Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis and strategies employed by the major market players
• 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
• Value chain analysis
• Consumer behavior analysis in country level
1.1 Key findings of the study
1.2 Study assumptions
1.3 Market definition
2. Research methodology
3. Market Insights
3.1 Market Overview
3.2 Market trends
4. Market dynamics
4.1.1 Increasing acceptance of consuming probiotics
4.1.2 Growing awareness towards fermented drinks with natural ingredients
4.2.1 Regulatory issues associated with kombucha containing alcohol
4.2.2 Availability of substitutes
4.3.1 High scope of entry for the household workers into commercial product producers.
4.4 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining power of suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining power of buyers
4.4.3 Threat of new entrants
4.4.4 Threat of substitute products and services
4.4.5 Degree of competition
5. Market segmentation
5.1 By Product
5.2 By Type
22.214.171.124 Herbs and Spices
5.3 By Distribution Channel
5.3.2 Convenience Stores
5.3.3 Health Stores
5.3.4 Online Retailers
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
126.96.36.199 The United States of America
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
5.4.4 South America
188.8.131.52 South Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Strategy adopted by Key players
6.2 Most Active Companies in the past Five years
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Millennium Products, Inc. (U.S.)
7.3 Reed’s, Inc. (U.S.),
7.4 The Hain Celestial Group (U.S.)
7.5 Revive Kombucha
7.6 Kosmic Kombucha
7.7 Cell - Nique Corporation
7.8 Buchi Kombucha
7.9 Gt’s Kombucha (U.S.)
7.10 Townshend’s Tea Company
7.11 The Humm Kombucha Llc
7.12 Red Bull Gmbh
7.13 Makana Beverages Inc
7.14 Nesalla Kombucha (
7.15 Live Soda Kombucha
7.16 Kombucha Wonder Drink