The global expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam market has been estimated at USD 1,002.55 million in 2017 and is projected to reach USD 1,648.8 million by 2023. Expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam is a closed cell foam, which is flexible, lightweight, recyclable, and non-toxic. It is known for its impact absorption and thermal resistance properties, and possesses a high strength to weight ratio. The material, along with water, offers resistance to most of the industrial chemicals.
In the report, we have taken the following major applications into consideration - automotive, industrial packaging, furniture, HVAC applications, and sports and leisure goods. The automotive segment accounts for over 50% share of the global EPP foam market in 2017.
Accelerating Demand for Fuel-efficient and Lightweight Cars
In order to meet the shifting consumer demand toward performance vehicles and increasingly stringent federal fuel economy standards, automakers are looking for alternatives to steel and aluminum. Using advanced lightweight materials on even the most basic car parts can improve overall fuel efficiency. Expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam, owing to its elasticity, thermal resistance, oil resistance, non-toxicity, recyclability, and shock-proof nature, is an integral part of the automotive manufacturing sector. Using advanced lightweight materials on even the most basic car parts can improve overall fuel efficiency as well. Owing to the aforementioned factors, the demand for EPP is increasing in the automotive sector. Moreover, there is an increase in production and consumption of automobiles across the world, which is expected to further boost the global EPP foam market growth.
Growing Concern for the Environment
The market is segmented by form, raw material, and application. By raw material, synthetic polypropylene is used in most of the cases. Growth of the bio-plastics industry is expected to have a positive impact on the growth of bio-based polypropylene. There have been numerous regulatory initiatives envisioned to reduce carbon emissions and promote bio plastics.
The easy availability of propylene, which is the key raw material used for the manufacture of EPP foam in major economies has helped strengthen the raw material supply in the global industry. However, the price volatility associated with this material is expected to impact product prices over the coming years.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market Growth
Region-wise, APAC led the market with more than 35% of the share, followed by Europe and North America. The flourishing automotive and packaging industries in Asia-Pacific have made this region an area of immense potential and opportunities. The rising disposable incomes of consumers in the region is expected to have positive impact on the consumer goods’ demand, thereby impacting the product demand. The fast-emerging consumer goods industry in major countries, like India and China, is expected to further propel the product demand over the forecast years.
Key Developments in the Market
• January 2018: Manufacturer and custom compounder of thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) Polymax Thermoplastic Elastomers LLC had announced plans to increase the size of its production operation, adding about 8 million lb (3,630 metric ton) of annual capacity.
• January 2018: Quantum Energy Partners and Stonecourt Capital LP had announced the formation of PetroLogistics II LLC, which will engage in the acquiring, developing, and distributing of their manufactured products in North America.
Major Players: BASF SE, DS SMITH PLC, JSP CORPORATION, HANWHA CORPORATION, KANEKA CORPORATION, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
• Analyze various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
• The application that is expected to dominate the market.
• The regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
• Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players.
• 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
• This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Research Phases
1.2 Study Deliverables
1.3 Scope of the Report
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Insights
3.1 Industry Value Chain Analysis
3.2 Regulatory Policies Analysis
3.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
3.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
3.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
3.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
3.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
3.3.5 Degree of Competition
3.4 Price Analysis
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Non-Toxic and Recyclable Nature of the Material
4.1.2 Rising Demand From The Automotive and Packaging Industries
4.2.1 Higher Price among Other Structural Foams
4.3.1 Rising Demand for Bio-based Polypropylene Foam
5. Market Segmentation and Analysis (Market Size, Growth and Forecast)
5.1 By Form
5.1.1 Fabricated EPP
5.1.2 Molded EPP
5.2 By Raw Material
5.2.1 Synthetic Polypropylene
5.2.2 Bio-based Polypropylene
5.3 By Application
5.3.4 Food Packaging
5.3.6 Sports & Leisure
6. Regional Analysis (Market Size, Growth and Forecast)
6.1.4 South Korea
6.1.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6.2 North America
6.2.1 United States
6.2.4 Rest of North America
6.3.3 United Kingdom
6.3.6 Rest of Europe
6.4 South America
6.4.3 Rest of South America
6.5 Middle-East & Africa
6.5.1 Saudi Arabia
6.5.2 South Africa
6.5.3 Rest of MEA
7. Future of the Market
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1 Mergers & Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations and Agreements
8.3 Market Share Analysis**
8.4 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
9. Company Profiles (Overview, Financials** Products & Services, Recent Developments and Analyst View)
9.1 Automa Multi Styrene (Pty) Ltd,
9.2 BASF SE
9.3 Chemische Fabrik Budenheim KG
9.4 Clark Foam Products Corporation
9.5 DS Smith PLC
9.6 Furukawa Electric Co., Ltd.
9.7 Hanwha Corporation
9.8 JSP Corporation
9.9 Kaneka Corporation
9.10 KK Nag Pvt. Ltd.
9.11 Knauf Industries
9.12 Package Design & Manufacturing Inc.
9.13 Polyfoam Australia Pty Ltd
9.14 Sonoco Products Company
9.15 SSW PearlFoam Gmbh
9.16 The Woodbridge Group
*List not Exhaustive
**Subject to Availability on public Domain