CESC Limited, a RP-Sanjiv Goenka Group (RPSG) company, is engaged in the generation, transmission and distribution of electric power in the cities of Kolkata and Howrah. It serves around 2.9 million consumers with a licensed area of 567 square kilometers (sq. km).
The company operates through four business segments: Power, Process Outsourcing, Retail and Property. The Power segment owns and operates three thermal power plants generating 1,125 megawatts (MW) of power including Budge Budge Generating Station (750 MW), Southern Generating Station (135 MW) and Titagarh Generating Station (240 MW).
The company also owns and operates the transmission and distribution system comprising 474 kilometers (km) circuit of transmission lines linking the company's generating and receiving stations with 105 distribution stations, 8,211 circuit km of high-tension (HT) lines further linking distribution stations with low-tension (LT) substations, large industrial consumers, and 12,269 circuit km of LT lines connecting the LT substations to LT consumers. CESC, through its subsidiary Haldia Energy, is engaged in the project of setting up a 600 MW coal-fired thermal power plant at Haldia in West Bengal. It also commissioned a 600 MW coal-fired thermal power plant at Chandrapur, Maharashtra through its subsidiary, Dhariwal Infrastructure. Also, the company in engaged in a 40 MW atmospheric fluidized based combustion power plant in Asansol in West Bengal owned by Crescent Power and a 2,000 MW power plant in Bhagalpur, Bihar. In addition, CESC is planning to establish a 1,320 MW thermal power plant at Dhenkanal in Orissa.
The company also operates in renewable sector with three projects in three different areas of renewable sources: in Arunachal Pradesh, the company operates three hydropower plants: Papu plant of 90 MW; Pachi plant of 45 MW; and Jarong plant of 90 MW. Under wind energy, CESC operates Dangri plant of 24 MW in Rajasthan and Surendranagar plant of 26 MW in Gujarat. CESC also operates a solar power plant Ramnathapuram in Tamil Nadu of 15 MW.
In FY2016, the Power segment reported revenues of INR67,804.7 million, which accounted for 57% of the company's total revenue. CESC’s Process Outsourcing segment is operated by its wholly-owned subsidiary Spen Liq which owns Firstsource Solutions (FSL), a business process outsourcing (BPO) and management company. FSL has operations spread across 47 service facilities in India, the US, the UK, Sri Lanka, and the Philippines. It provides services in the area of customer management, transaction processing and collection services.
The company serves global clients predominantly in the core industry verticals: healthcare; telecom and media (T&M); and banking, financial services, and insurance (BFSI). In FY2016, the Process Outsourcing segment reported revenues of INR32,281.8 million, which accounted for 27.1% of the company's total revenue. The company’s Retail segment operations are carried on by its subsidiaries, including Spencer's Retail (SRL) and Au Bon Pain Cafe India (ABPCIL). SRL is in the business of organized retail operating approximately 118 stores across India under the Spencer's label including 36 hypermarkets.
It offers a range of products that cater to the entire family needs including groceries, personal care products, apparels and accessories, consumer durables and other lifestyle products. ABPCIL is the master franchisee of ABP Corporation in India catering to the retail coffee and fast food segment. During FY2016, ABPCIL operated 24 cafes with two new cafes across four trade channels, in the cities of Bengaluru, Delhi and Kolkata.
In FY2016, the Retail segment reported revenues of INR18,076.8 million, which accounted for 15.2% of the company's total revenue. Under the Property segment, the company’s subsidiary Quest Properties India Limited (QPIL, formerly CESC Properties Limited) is engaged in the property development business.
The subsidiary owns The Quest shopping mall in Kolkata which has an area of about 700,000 square feet. QPIL is also entering into residential property business in Haldia to cater to the house requirement of corporate houses and individual residents.
The project is spread across 3.5 acres of land. In FY2016, the Property segment reported revenues of INR831.9 million, which accounted for 0.7% of the company's total revenue. Geographically, the company classifies its operations into four segments, namely India, the US and Canada, the UK and Rest of the World. In FY2016, India segment accounted for 75% of the company's total revenues, followed by the US and Canada with 14.5%; the UK with 10% and the Rest of the World with 0.5%.
Scope of the Report
- About the Company - Historical Details, Current Ownership Structure and basic overview of CESC Limited in terms of revenue, net income, and operating income.
- Financials - Details about CESC Limited listing status, annual financial reports (for the past 5 years), key financial highlights and region wise and category wise breakdown of their net revenue.
- Products / Services - Listing of the company’s entire portfolio along with description of individual products / services providing a clear picture of their target audience.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines CESC Limited’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Recent Developments - Showcases CESC Limited’s recent developments including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, new product launches, investment and divestment plans.
- Strategic Evaluation - Provides an overview of CESC Limited’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes along with outlining any persisting legal issues and outlook of our in-house analyst panel on the particular company.
- Technology Landscape - Details how the company allocates its IT budget across the core areas of its business, CIO/CTO Profile, Key IT Initiatives and Deals undertaken buy the company at present along with outlook.
Key Questions Answered
- What domain does CESC Limited operate and what are key points about it?
- What is the product / service portfolio of CESC Limited?
- How has CESC Limited performed financially from the 2013?
- How does CESC Limited rank among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are CESC Limited strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?
- What are CESC Limited’s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- What is the in-house technical capability of CESC Limited? Where does it procure / outsource it?
Reasons to buy
- Report delivered in easily accessible PPT format which can be used to gain insights quickly and further prepare presentations of your own
- Lean pricing structure ultimately giving you vast access to the unlimited knowledge repository of the company profiles at very competitive cost
- 12 hour delivery time fulfilling your urgent requests as per your requirement
- On-demand customization options that can completely cater to your needs by focusing the report onto given specifics
1. About the Company
1.1 History and Basic Facts
1.2 Ownership Structure and Key Executives
1.3 Head Office
1.4 Other Locations & Subsidiaries
1.5 List of Competitors
1.6 Employee Count & Distribution
2.1 Company Type (Listed / Unlisted)
2.2 Annual Statements
2.3 Key Financial Highlights
2.4 Region-wise Breakdown
3. Product / Services
4. SWOT Analysis
4.1 SWOT Overview
5. Recent Developments
5.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
5.2 Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
5.3 New Product Launches
5.4 Business Expansion / Divestment
6. Strategic Evaluation
6.1 Corporate Strategy
6.2 Legal Issues
6.3 Analyst Outlook
7. Technology Landscape
7.1.1 Industry Snapshot
7.1.2 IT Spend
7.1.3 Key Information Technology Trends
7.2.1 IT Overview
7.2.2 Key IT Technologies
7.2.3 Recent IT Initiatives
7.2.4 IT Outsourcing Engagements
7.2.5 Key IT Management
7.2.6 CIO/CTO Profile
- About Us
- Contact Us
Fig.1: Company Snapshot
Fig.2: Locations Listing on Map
Table.1: Ownership Structure
Table.2: List of Competitors
Table.3: Annual Statements
Table.4: Key Financial Highlights
Table.5: Region-wise Breakdown
Table.6: Product/Services Overview
Table.7: Mergers & Acquisitions
Table.8: Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
Table.9: New Product Launches
Table.10: Business Expansion / Divestment
Table 11: IT Budgets
Table 12: Key IT Management (CIO / CTO)
Table 13: IT Deals undertaken in the past years