Calpine Corporation is an independent wholesale power producer engaged in the ownership and development of power generation facilities. The company is engaged in developing, constructing, owning and operating natural gas-fired and renewable geothermal power plants across the US and Canada.
In addition, the company also provides wholesale power, steam, capacity, renewable energy credits and ancillary services to the customers. The company operates 80 power plants, including one under construction, located throughout 25 states in the US; Mexico and in Canada, with an aggregate generation capacity of 25,908 megawatt (MW) and 828 MW under construction. In 2016, the company's power plants produced approximately 110 billion kilo-watt hour (KWh) of electric power.
Calpine conducts its business through three segments: Texas; East (including Canada) and West (including geothermal).
The Texas segment of the company owns 13 power plants with aggregate generation capacity of 9,027 MW with an additional 418 MW under construction plant. In Texas Regional Entity (TRE), the company has total generating capacity of 4,225 MW, all of which are physically located in the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) market. ERCOT is the independent system operator (ISO) that manages approximately 85% of Texas' load and an electric grid covering about 75% of the state, overseeing transactions associated with Texas' competitive wholesale and retail power markets.
In FY2016, the Texas segment reported revenues of $2,801 million, which accounted for 41.7% of the company's total revenue.
The East segment has an aggregate generation capacity of 9,456MW from 31 power plants with a combined-cycle plant under construction in York, Pennsylvania, totaling 1,105 MW. There are around 34 operating power plants and projects under construction, of which nine are from Northeast Power Coordinating Council (NPCC) region, 18 from Reliability First Corporation (RFC) region, two from Southeastern Electric Reliability Council (SERC) region, two from Florida Reliability Coordinating Council (FRCC) region and three from Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO).
In FY2016, the East segment reported revenues of $2,353.0 million, which accounted for 35.0% of the company's total revenue.
The West segment of the company has 35 operating power plants with an aggregate generation capacity of 7,425 MW with generation from electricity generation in the Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) in the NERC region. Out of the total capacity, 6,700 MW is from natural gas and the remaining 725 MW was from renewable geothermal. The majority of the power plants in the West segment are located in California, in the CAISO region. The segment also own one power plant in Arizona and one in Oregon.
In FY2016, the West segment reported revenues of $1,562 million, which accounted for 23.3% of the company's total revenue.
Scope of the Report
- About the Company - Historical Details, Current Ownership Structure and basic overview of Calpine Corporation in terms of revenue, net income, and operating income.
- Financials - Details about Calpine Corporation listing status, annual financial reports (for the past 5 years), key financial highlights and region wise and category wise breakdown of their net revenue.
- Products / Services - Listing of the company’s entire portfolio along with description of individual products / services providing a clear picture of their target audience.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines Calpine Corporation’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Recent Developments - Showcases Calpine Corporation’s recent developments including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, new product launches, investment and divestment plans.
- Strategic Evaluation - Provides an overview of Calpine Corporation’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes along with outlining any persisting legal issues and outlook of our in-house analyst panel on the particular company.
- Technology Landscape - Details how the company allocates its IT budget across the core areas of its business, CIO/CTO Profile, Key IT Initiatives and Deals undertaken buy the company at present along with outlook.
Key Questions Answered
- What domain does Calpine Corporation operate and what are key points about it?
- What is the product / service portfolio of Calpine Corporation?
- How has Calpine Corporation performed financially from the 2013?
- How does Calpine Corporation rank among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are Calpine Corporation strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?
- What are Calpine Corporation’s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- What is the in-house technical capability of Calpine Corporation? Where does it procure / outsource it?
Reasons to buy
- Report delivered in easily accessible PPT format which can be used to gain insights quickly and further prepare presentations of your own
- Lean pricing structure ultimately giving you vast access to the unlimited knowledge repository of the company profiles at very competitive cost
- 12 hour delivery time fulfilling your urgent requests as per your requirement
- On-demand customization options that can completely cater to your needs by focusing the report onto given specifics
1. About the Company
1.1 History and Basic Facts
1.2 Ownership Structure and Key Executives
1.3 Head Office
1.4 Other Locations & Subsidiaries
1.5 List of Competitors
1.6 Employee Count & Distribution
2.1 Company Type (Listed / Unlisted)
2.2 Annual Statements
2.3 Key Financial Highlights
2.4 Region-wise Breakdown
3. Product / Services
4. SWOT Analysis
4.1 SWOT Overview
5. Recent Developments
5.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
5.2 Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
5.3 New Product Launches
5.4 Business Expansion / Divestment
6. Strategic Evaluation
6.1 Corporate Strategy
6.2 Legal Issues
6.3 Analyst Outlook
7. Technology Landscape
7.1.1 Industry Snapshot
7.1.2 IT Spend
7.1.3 Key Information Technology Trends
7.2.1 IT Overview
7.2.2 Key IT Technologies
7.2.3 Recent IT Initiatives
7.2.4 IT Outsourcing Engagements
7.2.5 Key IT Management
7.2.6 CIO/CTO Profile
- About Us
- Contact Us
Fig.1: Company Snapshot
Fig.2: Locations Listing on Map
Table.1: Ownership Structure
Table.2: List of Competitors
Table.3: Annual Statements
Table.4: Key Financial Highlights
Table.5: Region-wise Breakdown
Table.6: Product/Services Overview
Table.7: Mergers & Acquisitions
Table.8: Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
Table.9: New Product Launches
Table.10: Business Expansion / Divestment
Table 11: IT Budgets
Table 12: Key IT Management (CIO / CTO)
Table 13: IT Deals undertaken in the past years