BASF SE operates through subsidiaries in more than 80 countries across the globe. Central to the company's operations is the Verbund structure. Verbund is BASF's approach to vertical integration, which involves linking plants in a production Verbund to create efficient value-adding chains from basic chemicals to higher value products. At Verbund sites, BASF uses by-products of chemical reactions, which might otherwise have to be disposed of, as raw materials for other processes. The company operates six Verbund sites worldwide, the largest of which is in Ludwigshafen, as well as 352 other production sites. The company operates in Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific, Africa and the Middle East countries.
BASF has five business segments: chemicals; performance products; functional materials and solutions; agricultural solutions and oil & gas. These five business segments contain 14 divisions that manage 65 global and regional business units.
The chemicals segment is comprised of the company's business with basic chemicals and intermediates. Its portfolio ranges from solvents, plasticizers and high-volume monomers to glues as well as raw materials for detergents, plastics, textile fibers, paints and coatings, crop protection and medicines. This segment is organized into three divisions: petrochemicals, monomers and intermediates.
The petrochemicals division offers a range of basic chemicals, such as ethylene, propylene, butadiene, benzene, alcohols, solvents, plasticizers, alkylene oxides, glycols and acrylic monomers. It also manufactures specialties (special plasticizers) such as Hexamoll, DINCH, and special acrylates.
The monomers division provides a range of basic products, including isocyanates, ammonia, caprolactam, adipic acid, chlorine, urea, glues and impregnating resins, caustic soda, polyamides 6 and 6,6, standard alcoholates as well as sulphuric and nitric acid. The division also manufactures specialties which are electronic chemicals and metal systems.
The intermediates division manufactures basic products including butanediol and derivatives; alkylamines and alkanolamines; neopentylglycol, formic acid and propionic acid. The division also manufactures specialty amines (tert-butylamine), gas treatment chemicals, vinyl monomers, acid chlorides, chloroformates, and chiral intermediates.The functional materials and solutions segment is organized into four divisions: catalysts, construction chemicals, coatings and performance materials.In FY2016, the Chemicals segment reported revenues of EUR13,461 million, which accounted for 23.4% of the company's total revenue.
The performance products segment of BASF is organized into four divisions: dispersions and pigments; care chemicals; nutrition and health; and performance chemicals.
The dispersions and pigments division manufactures resins, polymer dispersions, pigments, high-performance additives and formulation additives and electronic chemicals.
The care chemicals division manufactures ingredients for skin and hair cleansing and care products, such as emollients, cosmetic active ingredients, polymers and UV filters; and for detergents and cleaners in household, institution or industry, such as surfactants, enzymes, chelating agents, polymers, biocides and products for optical effects. It also manufactures solvents for crop protection formulations and products for metal surface treatments; and super-absorbents for the hygiene industry.
The nutrition and health division produces additives for the food and feed industries such as vitamins, carotenoids, sterols, enzymes, emulsifiers and Omega-3 fatty acids; flavors and fragrances such as geraniol, citronellal, L-menthol and linalool; and active ingredients and excipients such as ibruprofen and Omega-3 fatty acids for the pharmaceutical industry.
The performance chemicals division manufactures antioxidants, light stabilizers, pigments and flame retardants for plastic applications. This division manufactures fuel and refinery additives and polyisobutene .It also manufactures brake fluids and engine coolants, lubricant additives and basestocks, and components for metalworking fluids and compounded lubricants. The division manufactures process chemicals for the extraction of oil, gas, metals and minerals, chemicals for enhanced oil recovery. It also supplies auxiliaries for the production and treatment of leather and textiles. The functional chemicals and process chemicals for the production of paper and cardboard water treatment chemicals, membrane technologies, kaolin minerals. In FY2016, the Performance Products segment reported revenues of EUR15,002 million, which accounted for 26.1% of the company's total revenue.
The functional materials and solutions segment comprises of the catalysts, construction chemicals, coatings and performance materials division.
Catalysts division develops automotive and process catalysts. It also provides battery materials, and precious and base metal services.
The construction chemicals division manufactures concrete admixtures, cement additives, underground construction solutions, flooring systems, sealants, solutions for the protection and repair of concrete, tile-laying systems, exterior insulation and finishing systems, expansion joints, wood protection solutions and high-performance mortars and grouts.
The coatings division provides coatings solutions for automotive and industrial applications, technology and system solutions for surface treatments, decorative paints.
The performance materials division manufactures polyurethanes; engineering and biodegradable plastics; epoxy resins; standard foams; and specialty foams for fiber reinforced composites. In FY2016, the Functional Material And Solutions segment reported revenues of EUR18,732 million, which accounted for 32.5% of the company's total revenue.
The agricultural solutions segment provides solutions in the areas of chemical and biological crop protection, seed treatment and water management as well as solutions for nutrient supply and plant stress. It provides solutions to agricultural products such as fungicides, insecticides, herbicides, and functional crop care products, which are used in the farming industry. The segment also consists of BASF Plant Science which conducts research in the field of plant biotechnology. In FY2016, the Agricultural Solutions segment reported revenues of EUR5,569 million, which accounted for 9.7% of the company's total revenue.
The oil and gas segment operates through the Wintershall Group (Wintershall). Wintershall and its subsidiaries are active in two business sectors: exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas; and natural gas trading.
In the exploration and production of crude oil and natural gas, Wintershall concentrates on selected oil and gas-rich regions in Europe, North Africa, South America, Russia, and the Middle East. BASF's natural gas trading business is operated along with its Russian partner, Gazprom, through which it is engaged in natural gas trading, transport and storage in Europe. In FY2016, the Oil and Gas segment reported revenues of EUR2,768 million, which accounted for 4.8% of the company's total revenue.
Besides its five business segments, BASF has other businesses including the sale of raw materials, engineering and other services, rental income and leases. In FY2016, the Other segment reported revenues of EUR2,018 million, which accounted for 3.5% of the company's total revenue.
Geographically, the company classifies its operations into five segments, namely Germany, North America, Asia Pacific, Europe (excluding Germany), South America, Africa and the Middle East. In FY2016, Germany segment accounted for 30.5% of the company's total revenues, followed by North America with 25.5%; Asia Pacific with 20.0%; Europe (excluding Germany) with 16.8%; South America, Africa and the Middle East with 7.2%;
Scope of the Report
- About the Company - Historical Details, Current Ownership Structure and basic overview of BASF SE in terms of revenue, net income, and operating income.
- Financials - Details about BASF SE listing status, annual financial reports (for the past 5 years), key financial highlights and region wise and category wise breakdown of their net revenue.
- Products / Services - Listing of the company’s entire portfolio along with description of individual products / services providing a clear picture of their target audience.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines BASF SE’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Recent Developments - Showcases BASF SE’s recent developments including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, new product launches, investment and divestment plans.
- Strategic Evaluation - Provides an overview of BASF SE’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes along with outlining any persisting legal issues and outlook of our in-house analyst panel on the particular company.
- Technology Landscape - Details how the company allocates its IT budget across the core areas of its business, CIO/CTO Profile, Key IT Initiatives and Deals undertaken buy the company at present along with outlook.
Key Questions Answered
- What domain does BASF SE operate and what are key points about it?
- What is the product / service portfolio of BASF SE?
- How has BASF SE performed financially from the 2013?
- How does BASF SE rank among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are BASF SE strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?
- What are BASF SE’s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- What is the in-house technical capability of BASF SE? Where does it procure / outsource it?
Reasons to buy
- Report delivered in easily accessible PPT format which can be used to gain insights quickly and further prepare presentations of your own
- Lean pricing structure ultimately giving you vast access to the unlimited knowledge repository of the company profiles at very competitive cost
- 12 hour delivery time fulfilling your urgent requests as per your requirement
- On-demand customization options that can completely cater to your needs by focusing the report onto given specifics
1. About the Company
1.1 History and Basic Facts
1.2 Ownership Structure and Key Executives
1.3 Head Office
1.4 Other Locations & Subsidiaries
1.5 List of Competitors
1.6 Employee Count & Distribution
2.1 Company Type (Listed / Unlisted)
2.2 Annual Statements
2.3 Key Financial Highlights
2.4 Region-wise Breakdown
3. Product / Services
4. SWOT Analysis
4.1 SWOT Overview
5. Recent Developments
5.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
5.2 Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
5.3 New Product Launches
5.4 Business Expansion / Divestment
6. Strategic Evaluation
6.1 Corporate Strategy
6.2 Legal Issues
6.3 Analyst Outlook
7. Technology Landscape
7.1.1 Industry Snapshot
7.1.2 IT Spend
7.1.3 Key Information Technology Trends
7.2.1 IT Overview
7.2.2 Key IT Technologies
7.2.3 Recent IT Initiatives
7.2.4 IT Outsourcing Engagements
7.2.5 Key IT Management
7.2.6 CIO/CTO Profile
- About Us
- Contact Us