Barnes & Noble is one of the largest content, commerce and technology companies in the US. It offers books, magazines, newspapers and other content to customers through its multi-channel distribution platform. At the end of FY2016, the company had 640 bookstores in 50 states. It also operates an e-commerce site, a digital bookstore, and develops digital reading products.
The company operates through two segments: B&N Retail and NOOK.
B&N Retail encompasses the company's retail operations through its bookstores operating under the Barnes & Noble Booksellers banner. Each store features a selection of books, ranging from 22,000 to 160,000 titles. The company primarily sells trade books (including hardcover and paperback consumer titles), mass market paperbacks, children's books, eBooks and other digital content, NOOK and related accessories, and bargain books. Its retail stores also offer magazines, gifts, cafe products and services, educational toys and games, music and movies directly to customers. Barnes & Noble's retail stores range in size from 3,000 to 60,000 square feet, with an overall average store size of 26,000 square feet. Many of the company's stores also feature a cafe operated by Starbucks exclusively.
These stores also have music/digital video disc (DVD)/BluRay departments, which range in the size from 300 to 8,000 square feet and stock nearly 12,000 titles. Besides these, some of the company's retail stores have a NOOK boutique/counter, through which the company promotes its NOOK brand.
The B&N retail segment also includes the company's publishing operation, Sterling Publishing, a publisher of non-fiction trade titles. Sterling Publishing publishes a wide range of non-fiction and illustrated books and kits across a variety of formats in categories such as health and wellness, music and popular culture, food and wine, and crafts and photography, among others. The B&N Retail segment also includes the company's e-commerce website, barnesandnoble.com. This website allows customers to purchase over four million eBooks, newspapers and magazines.
The company's B&N Retail segment purchases physical books from more than 500 publishers and approximately 50 wholesalers or distributors. These books are distributed to the company's retail stores through a network of distribution centers, of which one is based in Monroe Township, New Jersey (1,145,000 square feet); and one in Reno, Nevada (600,000 square feet). The distribution center in Reno, Nevada is also used for the distribution of books to stores and online customers in the western US. In FY2016, the B&N Retail segment reported revenue of $4,028.6 million, which accounted for 95.5% of the company's total revenue.
The NOOK segment comprises the company's digital business, including eBookstore, digital newsstand and sales of NOOK devices and accessories. The NOOK digital bookstore offers over four million eBooks, digital magazines and newspapers. The segment also sells a wide range of devices, including Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 NOOK, Samsung Galaxy Tab E NOOK, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7.0 device and NOOK GlowLight Plus. In FY2016, the NOOK segment reported revenue of $191.5 million, which accounted for 4.5% of the company's total revenue.
The company acquires rights to distribute digital content from publishers and distributes the content on barnesandnoble.com, NOOK devices and other eBookstore platforms. Certain digital content is distributed under an agency pricing model in which the publishers set fixed prices for eBooks and NOOK receives a fixed commission on content sold through eBookstore.
Geographically, the company operates through one segment, namely the US. In FY2016, the US segment accounted for 100% of the company's total revenue.
Scope of the Report
- About the Company - Historical Details, Current Ownership Structure and basic overview of Barnes and Noble, Inc. in terms of revenue, net income, and operating income.
- Financials - Details about Barnes and Noble, Inc. listing status, annual financial reports (for the past 5 years), key financial highlights and region wise and category wise breakdown of their net revenue.
- Products / Services - Listing of the company’s entire portfolio along with description of individual products / services providing a clear picture of their target audience.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines Barnes and Noble, Inc.’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Recent Developments - Showcases Barnes and Noble, Inc.’s recent developments including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, new product launches, investment and divestment plans.
- Strategic Evaluation - Provides an overview of Barnes and Noble, Inc.’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes along with outlining any persisting legal issues and outlook of our in-house analyst panel on the particular company.
- Technology Landscape - Details how the company allocates its IT budget across the core areas of its business, CIO/CTO Profile, Key IT Initiatives and Deals undertaken buy the company at present along with outlook.
Key Questions Answered
- What domain does Barnes and Noble, Inc. operate and what are key points about it?
- What is the product / service portfolio of Barnes and Noble, Inc.?
- How has Barnes and Noble, Inc. performed financially from the 2013?
- How does Barnes and Noble, Inc. rank among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are Barnes and Noble, Inc. strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?
- What are Barnes and Noble, Inc.’s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- What is the in-house technical capability of Barnes and Noble, Inc.? Where does it procure / outsource it?
Reasons to buy
- Report delivered in easily accessible PPT format which can be used to gain insights quickly and further prepare presentations of your own
- Lean pricing structure ultimately giving you vast access to the unlimited knowledge repository of the company profiles at very competitive cost
- 12 hour delivery time fulfilling your urgent requests as per your requirement
- On-demand customization options that can completely cater to your needs by focusing the report onto given specifics
1. About the Company
1.1 History and Basic Facts
1.2 Ownership Structure and Key Executives
1.3 Head Office
1.4 Other Locations & Subsidiaries
1.5 List of Competitors
1.6 Employee Count & Distribution
2.1 Company Type (Listed / Unlisted)
2.2 Annual Statements
2.3 Key Financial Highlights
2.4 Region-wise Breakdown
3. Product / Services
4. SWOT Analysis
4.1 SWOT Overview
5. Recent Developments
5.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
5.2 Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
5.3 New Product Launches
5.4 Business Expansion / Divestment
6. Strategic Evaluation
6.1 Corporate Strategy
6.2 Legal Issues
6.3 Analyst Outlook
7. Technology Landscape
7.1.1 Industry Snapshot
7.1.2 IT Spend
7.1.3 Key Information Technology Trends
7.2.1 IT Overview
7.2.2 Key IT Technologies
7.2.3 Recent IT Initiatives
7.2.4 IT Outsourcing Engagements
7.2.5 Key IT Management
7.2.6 CIO/CTO Profile
- About Us
- Contact Us
Fig.1: Company Snapshot
Fig.2: Locations Listing on Map
Table.1: Ownership Structure
Table.2: List of Competitors
Table.3: Annual Statements
Table.4: Key Financial Highlights
Table.5: Region-wise Breakdown
Table.6: Product/Services Overview
Table.7: Mergers & Acquisitions
Table.8: Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
Table.9: New Product Launches
Table.10: Business Expansion / Divestment
Table 11: IT Budgets
Table 12: Key IT Management (CIO / CTO)
Table 13: IT Deals undertaken in the past years