ALTANA AG is a global specialty chemicals group. The company’s business activities focus on offering special products and services to coatings manufacturers, paint and plastics processors, and to the printing, cosmetics, and the electrical industries. The group's product portfolio comprises additives, special coatings and adhesives, effect pigments, sealants and compounds, impregnating resins and varnishes, and testing and measuring instruments. The group operates across Europe, Asia, the Americas and other regions. It operates about 48 production plants and over 50 application and research laboratories worldwide.
The Altana group consists of 65 consolidated subsidiaries and associated companies, whose activities are categorized into four divisions: BYK Additives and Instruments, ELANTAS Electrical Insulation, ECKART Effect Pigments, and ACTEGA Coatings and Sealants. The BYK Additives and Instruments (BYK) division of the group is a manufacturer of high-quality additives and instruments. The division includes the additives made by BYK-Chemie and the instrument business of BYK-Gardner. It supplies special-purpose ingredients, so-called additives, used in coatings and paints, plastics, gas and oil exploration, and other industrial applications.
Its products range includes wetting and dispersing additives for the distribution of pigments and filling materials; defoamers; air-release additives which eliminate air bubbles in coatings and plastics; surface additives; and rheology additives that improve the flow behavior of coatings and plastics systems. As of December 31, 2016, the BYK division reported revenue of EUR909.1 million, or 43.8% of the company’s total revenue. The ELANTAS Electrical Insulation (ELANTAS) division of the group produces insulating materials for the electrical and electronics industry. ELANTAS has a portfolio of products such as liquid coatings for insulating magnet wires as well as special resins and coatings for impregnating and encapsulating electrical and electronic components.
The ELANTAS division serves the markets through three business lines: primary insulation, secondary insulation, and electronic and engineering materials. The primary insulation business line supplies to the enameled wire industry. The secondary insulation business line supplies applications in which the enameled wire winding is insulated and stabilized mechanically; and the electronic and engineering materials business line supplies applications that embed or completely encapsulate electrical components. ELANTAS, which operates as a holding company headquartered in Wesel, Germany, controls activities and supports its operating subsidiaries that develop and produce insulating materials in Italy, China, the US, India, Germany, and Brazil.
These products are marketed internationally under the ELANTAS brand. As of December 31, 2016, the ELANTAS division reported revenue of EUR452.1 million, or 21.8% of the company’s total revenue. The ECKART Effect Pigments (ECKART) division of the group is engaged in the manufacture of effect pigments and metallic and pearlescent pigments. The metallic effect pigments consist of aluminum, copper, or zinc plates. They are used in automobile paints or inks for the printing industry. Pearlescent pigments, which are mineral-based and are used in industrial coatings and for coloring plastics. They are also used for technical applications, including corrosion protection. ECKART operates in the business areas of coatings, graphic arts, cosmetics, plastics, and functional applications.
The product range includes aluminum, and pearlescent; metallic pigment coatings; gold-bronze and zinc pigment; and press-ready metallic printing inks. The customers use these products to achieve visual and functional effects in coatings, printing inks, plastics, and cosmetics. They are also used as a propellant in the manufacture of aerated concrete. As of December 31, 2016, the ECKART division reported revenue of EUR361.9 million, or 17.4% of the company’s total revenue. The ACTEGA Coatings and Sealants (ACTEGA) division of the group develops and produces specialty coatings and sealants for the packaging and graphic arts industry. Coatings and Sealants are managed by the holding company ACTEGA GmbH in Wesel, Germany.
These products are used to provide appearance, physical, and chemical properties to paper, paper board, plastic, and metals. ACTEGA operates in two business areas: graphic arts and packaging industry. It primarily sells its products to the printing industry and is also the supplier of sealants for closures and glass containers and water-based sealing compounds for cans. As of December 31, 2016, the ACTEGA division reported revenue of EUR352.2 million, or 17% of the company’s total revenue. The company classifies its geographic operations into four regions: Europe, the Americas, Asia and Other regions. In FY2016, Europe accounted for 38.5% of the company’s total revenue, followed by Asia with 31.4%, the Americas with 28.3%, and Other Regions with 1.8%.
Scope of the Report
- About the Company - Historical Details, Current Ownership Structure and basic overview of ALTANA AG in terms of revenue, net income, and operating income.
- Financials - Details about ALTANA AG listing status, annual financial reports (for the past 5 years), key financial highlights and region wise and category wise breakdown of their net revenue.
- Products / Services - Listing of the company’s entire portfolio along with description of individual products / services providing a clear picture of their target audience.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines ALTANA AG’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Recent Developments - Showcases ALTANA AG’s recent developments including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, new product launches, investment and divestment plans.
- Strategic Evaluation - Provides an overview of ALTANA AG’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes along with outlining any persisting legal issues and outlook of our in-house analyst panel on the particular company.
- Technology Landscape - Details how the company allocates its IT budget across the core areas of its business, CIO/CTO Profile, Key IT Initiatives and Deals undertaken buy the company at present along with outlook.
Key Questions Answered
- What domain does ALTANA AG operate and what are key points about it?
- What is the product / service portfolio of ALTANA AG?
- How has ALTANA AG performed financially from the 2013?
- How does ALTANA AG rank among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are ALTANA AG strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?
- What are ALTANA AG’s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- What is the in-house technical capability of ALTANA AG? Where does it procure / outsource it?
Reasons to buy
- Report delivered in easily accessible PPT format which can be used to gain insights quickly and further prepare presentations of your own
- Lean pricing structure ultimately giving you vast access to the unlimited knowledge repository of the company profiles at very competitive cost
- 12 hour delivery time fulfilling your urgent requests as per your requirement
- On-demand customization options that can completely cater to your needs by focusing the report onto given specifics
1. About the Company
1.1 History and Basic Facts
1.2 Ownership Structure and Key Executives
1.3 Head Office
1.4 Other Locations & Subsidiaries
1.5 List of Competitors
1.6 Employee Count & Distribution
2.1 Company Type (Listed / Unlisted)
2.2 Annual Statements
2.3 Key Financial Highlights
2.4 Region-wise Breakdown
3. Product / Services
4. SWOT Analysis
4.1 SWOT Overview
5. Recent Developments
5.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
5.2 Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
5.3 New Product Launches
5.4 Business Expansion / Divestment
6. Strategic Evaluation
6.1 Corporate Strategy
6.2 Legal Issues
6.3 Analyst Outlook
7. Technology Landscape
7.1.1 Industry Snapshot
7.1.2 IT Spend
7.1.3 Key Information Technology Trends
7.2.1 IT Overview
7.2.2 Key IT Technologies
7.2.3 Recent IT Initiatives
7.2.4 IT Outsourcing Engagements
7.2.5 Key IT Management
7.2.6 CIO/CTO Profile
- Contact Us
Fig.1: Company Snapshot
Fig.2: Locations Listing on Map
Table.1: Ownership Structure
Table.2: List of Competitors
Table.3: Annual Statements
Table.4: Key Financial Highlights
Table.5: Region-wise Breakdown
Table.6: Product/Services Overview
Table.7: Mergers & Acquisitions
Table.8: Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
Table.9: New Product Launches
Table.10: Business Expansion / Divestment
Table 11: IT Budgets
Table 12: Key IT Management (CIO / CTO)
Table 13: IT Deals undertaken in the past years