ALLETE, Inc. is a provider of energy in the upper Midwest, and invests in transmission infrastructure and other energy-centric businesses. The company primarily operates in the US.
ALLETE operates through four business segments: regulated operations; allete clean energy; U.S. water services and corporate and other.
The regulated operations segment includes the company's regulated utilities, Minnesota Power and Superior Water, Light and Power Company (SWL&P), as well as its investment in ATC. Minnesota Power provides regulated utility electric service in northeastern Minnesota to approximately 145,000 retail customers. Minnesota Power also has 16 non-affiliated municipal customers in Minnesota. SWL&P is a Wisconsin utility and a wholesale customer of Minnesota Power. SWL&P provides regulated electric, natural gas and water service in northwestern Wisconsin to approximately 15,000 electric customers, 13,000 natural gas customers and 10,000 water customers. ATC is a Wisconsin-based regulated utility that owns and maintains electric transmission assets in parts of Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, and Illinois. The company's regulated utility operations include retail and wholesale activities under the jurisdiction of state and federal regulatory authorities.
During FY2015, the regulated operations segment sold a total of 14,353 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity including 10,043 kWh to retail and municipal customers and 4,310 kWh to other power suppliers. For FY2015, the company generated a total of 1,942 megawatts (MW), electricity including 1,120 MW of coal-fired power, 522 MW of wind power, 120 MW of hydro power, and 81 MW from other sources.
ALLETE Clean Energy was established in 2011, and focuses on developing, acquiring and operating clean and renewable energy projects. ALLETE Clean Energy currently owns and operates, in four states, approximately 535 MW of nameplate capacity wind energy generation that are under long-term power sales agreements. In addition, ALLETE Clean Energy constructed a 107 MW wind energy facility for sale to Montana-Dakota Utilities. BNI Energy is a supplier of lignite in North Dakota, producing about four million tons annually and has lignite reserves of an estimated 650 million tons. ALLETE Properties represents the company's Florida real estate investment.
U.S. Water Services provides integrated water management for industry by combining chemical, equipment, engineering and service for customized solutions to reduce water and energy usage and improve efficiency. U.S. Water Services is located in 49 states and Canada and has an established base of approximately 4,000 customers. U.S. Water Services differentiates itself from the competition by developing synergies between established solutions in engineering, equipment, and chemical water treatment and helping customers achieve efficient and sustainable use of their water and energy systems. U.S. Water Services is a leading provider to the biofuels industry, and also serves the food and beverage, industrial, power generation, and midstream oil and gas industries.
Corporate and Other is comprised of BNI Energy, company’s coal mining operations in North Dakota, ALLETE Properties, company’s legacy Florida real estate investment, other business development and corporate expenditures, unallocated interest expense, a small amount of non-rate base generation, approximately 5,000 acres of land in Minnesota, and earnings on cash and investments.
The company's industrial customers are primarily in the taconite mining, iron concentrate, paper, pulp and secondary wood products, and pipeline industries. In addition to serving the taconite industry, Minnesota Power also serves a number of customers in the paper, pulp and secondary wood products industry.
In addition, ALLETE has electric transmission and distribution lines of 500 kilo-volt (kV) (8 miles), 345 kV (242 miles), 250 kV (465 miles), 230 kV (765 miles), 161 kV (43 miles), 138 kV (130 miles), 115 kV (1,268 miles) and less than 115 kV (6,295 miles). The company own and operate 177 substations with a total capacity of 10,980 megavolt amperes (MVA). Some of its transmission and distribution lines interconnect with other utilities.
ALLETE operates through various other subsidiaries, including Rainy River Energy among others.
Rainy River Energy owns approximately 8% of ATC, a Wisconsin-based utility that owns and maintains electric transmission assets in parts of Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and Illinois.
Scope of the Report
- About the Company - Historical Details, Current Ownership Structure and basic overview of ALLETE, Inc. in terms of revenue, net income, and operating income.
- Financials - Details about ALLETE, Inc. listing status, annual financial reports (for the past 5 years), key financial highlights and region wise and category wise breakdown of their net revenue.
- Products / Services - Listing of the company’s entire portfolio along with description of individual products / services providing a clear picture of their target audience.
- Company SWOT Analysis - Outlines ALLETE, Inc.’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities and threats facing the company.
- Recent Developments - Showcases ALLETE, Inc.’s recent developments including mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, new product launches, investment and divestment plans.
- Strategic Evaluation - Provides an overview of ALLETE, Inc.’s corporate goals and strategic initiatives and evaluates their outcomes along with outlining any persisting legal issues and outlook of our in-house analyst panel on the particular company.
- Technology Landscape - Details how the company allocates its IT budget across the core areas of its business, CIO/CTO Profile, Key IT Initiatives and Deals undertaken buy the company at present along with outlook.
Key Questions Answered
- What domain does ALLETE, Inc. operate and what are key points about it?
- What is the product / service portfolio of ALLETE, Inc.?
- How has ALLETE, Inc. performed financially from the 2013?
- How does ALLETE, Inc. rank among its peers in terms of revenue and market share?
- What are ALLETE, Inc. strengths and weaknesses and what opportunities and threats does it face?
- What are ALLETE, Inc.’s main growth strategies and how successful has the company been at implementing them?
- What is the in-house technical capability of ALLETE, Inc.? Where does it procure / outsource it?
Reasons to buy
- Report delivered in easily accessible PPT format which can be used to gain insights quickly and further prepare presentations of your own
- Lean pricing structure ultimately giving you vast access to the unlimited knowledge repository of the company profiles at very competitive cost
- 12 hour delivery time fulfilling your urgent requests as per your requirement
- On-demand customization options that can completely cater to your needs by focusing the report onto given specifics
1. About the Company
1.1 History and Basic Facts
1.2 Ownership Structure and Key Executives
1.3 Head Office
1.4 Other Locations & Subsidiaries
1.5 List of Competitors
1.6 Employee Count & Distribution
2.1 Company Type (Listed / Unlisted)
2.2 Annual Statements
2.3 Key Financial Highlights
2.4 Region-wise Breakdown
3. Product / Services
4. SWOT Analysis
4.1 SWOT Overview
5. Recent Developments
5.1 Mergers & Acquisitions
5.2 Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
5.3 New Product Launches
5.4 Business Expansion / Divestment
6. Strategic Evaluation
6.1 Corporate Strategy
6.2 Legal Issues
6.3 Analyst Outlook
7. Technology Landscape
7.1.1 Industry Snapshot
7.1.2 IT Spend
7.1.3 Key Information Technology Trends
7.2.1 IT Overview
7.2.2 Key IT Technologies
7.2.3 Recent IT Initiatives
7.2.4 IT Outsourcing Engagements
7.2.5 Key IT Management
7.2.6 CIO/CTO Profile
- About Us
- Contact Us
Fig.1: Company Snapshot
Fig.2: Locations Listing on Map
Table.1: Ownership Structure
Table.2: List of Competitors
Table.3: Annual Statements
Table.4: Key Financial Highlights
Table.5: Region-wise Breakdown
Table.6: Product/Services Overview
Table.7: Mergers & Acquisitions
Table.8: Partnerships, Collaborations & Joint Ventures
Table.9: New Product Launches
Table.10: Business Expansion / Divestment
Table 11: IT Budgets
Table 12: Key IT Management (CIO / CTO)
Table 13: IT Deals undertaken in the past years